Monday, March 8, 2021

Queen Stella.


Stella von Daisy 
October 20, 2005 - June 5, 2020


Stella and I were together just shy of 14 years. When she jumped in my arms, fresh from my second surgery, she was about 15 more pounds than I was expecting and cream. I was expecting a tiny black dog ready to be named Oprah. A woman I had never met made the selfless decision to place Stella with me as she was in her dying days wanting her newly acquired shelter dog to have a forever owner.  When I brought this overgrown hair ball home, the hair of Jude, my roommate's dog was standing on end. I had no idea what it would mean to become the owner of this dog named Daisy. She would not be satisfied being my pet, nor did I want to be her owner. We instantly became family. After rebranding her as Stella von Daisy, she has by far been one of my life's greatest gifts. When I play the highlight reel from the last decade plus, she often takes centerstage.

Together, Stella and I have walked through my ovarian cancer diagnosis and recovery journey, endured a many heartaches, heartbreaks, lots of addresses, and everything in between. She was the source of my joy in her faithful friendship with her endless snuggles, kisses, snoring, and bed hogging. We walked many miles together, took our fair share of road trips, dodged a few shady characters, and through it all, she graciously embraced my countless photo shoots with props and costumes. With the many changes life brought this way in the last several years, she was the one constant.

Stella and I were far more connected than words can ever explain. She sensed when things were amiss and what she lacked in words, she communicated through love and loyalty. Dogs are so in tune that they can sense a drop of blood in a swimming pool of water. Pretty sure Stella always knew what I needed. 

It also became quickly apparent that Stella also took up residence in the hearts of Jack and Thomas. She showed them the same love and devotion, knowing we all were part of our own little family. 

Stella's photos still take up some serious rent in my phone, but more importantly my heart. This dog invaded every nook and cranny of life. She was my therapy dog. My best friend. My navigator. My filter. My sounding board. My counterpart. My joy. My life. My baby. 

I am thankful for all that Stella represented in my life and for all of the wonderful years we had together. I am also grateful for the many things I learned through her. Stella will always be the queen of my world, but she now reigns from the castle in the sky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment