Sunday, March 9, 2014

It starts with "and."

Let me begin by saying this journey is more like a documentary of how life is unfolding and how God is at work in me. In no way, shape or form am I arrogant enough to think that my life is any more special than the next guy that people will want to read the details of my life. I have been encouraged to journal the happenings of life as this has been quite a ride. This blog is for MY own reflection as I am sure that months from now, years from now, I will wonder how I got to this place or that. And this blog will be evidence of each piece that was masterfully orchestrated to get me there. If people are encouraged along the way in their own journey, then so be it.

So with formal introductions out of the way, let the blogging begin...

Why the ampersand? The ampersand is a broken infinity symbol that also means "and." Nothing lasts forever on this earth (though I wish it did). After fourteen years as an English teacher, there is also a great love for punctuation and words, in particular this lovely conjunction meaning "and."  This journey starts with the AND...

The last handful of years have been tumultuous at best. Hence the broken part in my ampersand. I was focused on simply doing what it would take to SURVIVE. I will spare the gory details of recent years as I am sure that some will surface in my blogging journey, but starting 2014, I knew that my longing for something more was leading to this as the year to THRIVE. Cue the sleeping lion starting to finally awaken. No longer did I (or do I) want to live in the safety zone. I have grown tired of making the safe and predictable decisions. Decisions that clearly revolved around the happiness of others rather than my own desires, dreams and goals. To be perfectly honest, I had built quite a home in the pig sty of life's problems. Though it was messy, I knew what to expect. It was comfortable in the mud. And it was easier to live in that drab. But as this has been my year to THRIVE, good gracious, was I ever in for the wildest ride yet. I had been praying that doors would open and close! Certain doors have been nailed shut with a thousand nails (and just to be safe, I am pretty sure that there are zombies waiting on the other side just to ensure that I don't go back to those places again). And some decisions are disappointing and beyond my control such as the low enrollment leading to my teaching contract not being renewed for next year. Yet there are other doors that are now wide open with flashing arrows ushering me in with angelic music playing in the background (It sounds better that way, right?!).
San Diego, Stay Classy.

All that to say, I am embarking on a new journey. In 61 days (but who is counting?), I will be transplanting my life to San Diego. I do not yet have a job. I do not yet have a place of my own. And I am moving from a place that I love and from friends that have been so faithful in my life journey. BUT...(and may I say that is a HUGE BUT(T)...) I am without ONE hesitation. Rather than think of all that I leave behind, I think of what I get to move toward. With a new city comes new adventure. I get to start fresh in a city that is incredibly beautiful. I will establish in a new place (yet still love my hometown). And the friends are a text or FaceTime away. This door is flung open wide. And being that God has been faithful, now is certainly not my time to doubt. Hopefully Grandma Stella Puppy likes cats.

And so, this chapter of life starts with the "and..."

4 comments:

  1. yay! finally.... for years i encouraged you to do this! so glad you jumped on the bandwagon.... let me know if you need help with "blogger" and widgets and such!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will have you help me with some of it. For sure. xoxo.

      Delete
  2. So excited for you! Completely get where you are coming from. I, too, have declared 2014 as my year to finally move from survive to THRIVE! You have encouraged me to update my blog too! Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so happy for you!!! if God is at the helm of this, it will be wonderful! He has a plan for you and i'm glad you took the step of courage to leave the past behind and go forward! i always thought you deserved so much better! God bless you in this new season of your life! everything will fall into place as God reveals His mighty plan for you! bless you ms. stenson! i can't wait to read the next entry!!!
    debi

    ReplyDelete